Au Revoir Falmouth, Hello Newlyn

The day in Falmouth was uneventful. A few hours updating these blogs and the Gallery and then on to some maintenance chores around the boat such as filling the water tanks, washing the dirty tea-towels. What? No Dishwasher? No! No dishwasher. Except me, Allan, Neil and Duncs). Additionally cleaning my cabin – 3 minutes – and cleaning the ‘Heads’ (toilets). Now, here’s interesting. The flushing mechanism on the Heads uses a hand pump to suck in sea water and flush out that sea water along with any spoil in the loo. However, these hand pumps do need some lubrication apart from salt water else they have a tendency to really squeak – as ours was. The solution? Pour in some cheap vegetable oil, pump away and that’s it. Squeak gone, pumping easier and a biogradeable deposit made into the sea. Thank you Tesco Value Sunflower Oil.  However, I digress,  and its not the most palatable subject to dwell on. Although I do dwell when using.  Mainly to complete a puzzle or draft a suitable Tweet or write a Blog!!

The Card Game ( last Blog ‘Brilliant Sail and A Tragedy) is due to recommence so, as I needed to do some serious studying, I reverted to preparing my own flash cards. Given the level of colour used in sailing (buoys, lights) I needed some crayons for such colour. Took myself off to a local store called Trago Mills. Sells everything from Air Fresheners to Z… (something beginning with Zed). A quality Arts section offered up the required colouring utensils and I made a beeline back to base to start colouring buoy shapes and light combinations as if I were in Mrs Phelan’s Kindergarden Art class and looking for that Gold Star – although these flash cards will not be seen by any other eyes than mine.

So, we left Falmouth on time, 9am, eating that other Fisherman’s Friend, the bacon sandwich. The wind inshore was a measly 5knots so we motored for a while and headed toward the Lizard Point. A landmark as this is the furthest south you can go for the British mainland.  The winds began to pick up so the Skipper (Duncs) decided that we would hoist the sails. As I was the ‘Watch’ officer, I had to take charge of that hoisting. At such short notice I was unable to gather as my thoughts and recall all the things that needed doing. I made a pig’s ear of the crew briefing but the mainsail went up anyway  (with the help and guidance of Duncs) and I went below to write my lines – 100 times “I must do better on Watch”, “I must do better on Watch”, “I must do better on Watch”…

Still, as the poster in our kitchen says, Fail Better next time. Although this fail better next time idea must be incremental in very small amounts given the amount of toast I burn.

Oh. Oh. Oh. I saw Dolphins. Yes, real live ones. Seven of them swimming on the bow. Never seen them before and they are truly delightful. I was caught unawares so was to unable to get any photos. Probably for the better as I was half way up the mast trying to haul down the mainsail in gusty conditions and hanging on only by left hand. Had I endeavoured to take the necessary snaps, I have no doubt I would have ended up swimming with the Dolphins (but not in a Tony Soprano sense. As in “Swimmin wid der fishes”)

We made Newlyn and Newlyn is, well, Newlyn. A full working fishing port and 1 yacht – us. We could have gone to the smart marina just around the next buoy but we would have missed the experience of the sights, sounds and smells of a big fishing port and fish processing plants. Wouldn’t have wanted to miss that for the world.

[There is a hint of sadness as this is the port that launched the Penlee Lifeboat tragically caught up in the Mousehole tragedy in the early ’80’s that cost fishermen and RNLI crew their lives.]

I’m on cooking duties tonight. Guess what we’re having?  With chips. Alan Murchison recommends frying.

There may be a bit of radio silence over the next few days as we go out of internet range. But, remember, you can track us on the Marine website and see where the RBE is at any time, 24/7. Go here..

Bon appetite


Day 12 April 17th